West End History / Timeline
2012 - Present
Courts 1 and 2 were resurfaced using carpet. Courts 3 and 4 were completed years later.
From 1948, when it was noted that Banbury West End had maintained its position in the A division in the Oxon Leagues, BWE has enjoyed success at every level. Many members have represented Oxfordshire.
In the 1980s and 1990s, several players became National Champions at Junior and Senior level.
In 2022, John Spratt continued the form, becoming National Singles Champion in his age group.
The shale courts were replaced with an all-weather surface and floodlit.
1979 - 1994
Banbury West End won Division 1 titles in the Ladies’, Men’s and Mixed Leagues 17 times.
The all-weather courts were floodlit. These were the first floodlit courts in North Oxfordshire.
Banbury Squash Club joined BWE and built two squash courts on the site.
As there was no room to increase the number of courts in Bath Road, the site in Banbury was sold and the Club purchased the courts in Adderbury. Three additional all-weather courts were added immediately.
Mr Frank Lucas purchased the Adderbury courts. The Club house is his home.
BWE enter the Oxon LTA Leagues and play matches in Oxfordshire for the first time.
JA Gillett bequeathed the Courts in Bath Road to Banbury West End, for exclusive use.
Joseph Ashby Gillett was elected President of the Club.
Early 1930s- Four shale courts were laid in Adderbury, independently from BWE.
Courts belonging to the Gillett family in Bath Road, Banbury, were rented to BWE.
West End Lawn Tennis Club was established and played on grass courts at Woodgreen (home of the Gillett family and now Frank Wise School).